Is the patient taking the medicine correctly?
- Is the person taking the medicine/s?
- Are there any reasons the person may be missing some or all doses? (e.g. cost, psychosocial reasons)
- Is the person’s inhaler technique correct?
- Is the type of inhaler device right for the person?
Is the current treatment appropriate?
- Is the type of preventer right for the individual?
- Is the prescribed dose of preventer likely to be effective?
Is the person able to self-manage effectively?
Are the symptoms due to asthma?
- Is the diagnosis correct?
- Are other conditions present?
Is the person exposed to unidentified triggers?
- Does the person smoke?
- Is the person exposed to other people’s tobacco smoke or other smoke?
- Does the person know what triggers their asthma symptoms?
- cigarette smoke
- allergens (e.g. animals, pollens, workplace materials)
- cold/dry air
- indoor and outdoor pollution
- medicines (including complementary medicines)
- food chemicals/additives (if person is intolerant)
- viral respiratory tract infections
- comorbid medical conditions
- extreme emotions
- hormonal changes