Table. Suggested questions to ask adults and older adolescents when assessing adherence to treatment
- Many people don’t take their medication as prescribed. In the last four weeks:
- how many days a week would you have taken your preventer medication? None at all? One? Two? (etc).
- how many times a day would you take it? Morning only? Evening only? Morning and evening? (or other)
- each time, how many puffs would you take? One? Two? (etc).
- Do you find it easier to remember your medication in the morning, or the evening?
Source: Foster JM, Smith L, Bosnic-Anticevich SZ et al. Identifying patient-specific beliefs and behaviours for conversations about adherence in asthma. Intern Med J 2012; 42: e136-e44. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21627747