- Document baseline lung function.
- Document baseline asthma control using a validated standardised tool such as the Asthma Score.
- Discuss treatment goals and potential adverse effects with the person.
- Run treatment trial for agreed period (e.g. 4–8 weeks, depending on the treatment and clinical circumstances, including urgency).
- At an agreed interval, measure asthma control and lung function again and document any adverse effects.
- If asthma control has not improved despite correct inhaler technique and good adherence, resume previous treatment and consider referral for specialist consultation.